The School of Environmental Technology was started in 1982 with only the department of Estate Management. Today the school has five departments.
All the Departments run both National Diploma and Higher National Diploma programmes with the exception of the departments of Building Technology. These programmes are accredited by the National Board for Technical Education.
The names of the Directors/Deans of the School from inception are:
- Dr. C.C. Njeze 1980 – 1985
- Mal. M.S. Abdu 1985 – 1986
- Dr. C.C. Njeze 1986 – 1987
- Surv. Victor O. Nyamse 1987 – 1991
- Surv. I.S. Jahun 1991 – 1997
- Arc. J.K. Tumba 1997 – 2002
- Mr. J.A. Alerege 2002 – 2006
- Arc. Waziri S.G. 2006 – 2013
- Surv. Isa A. Sulaiman 2013 – 2018
- Surv. M. S. Kardam 2018 – Date
Since its inception, there have been a lot of developments. These include structural and physical development such as the two new storey buildings to house the entire academic staff of the school, acquisition of modern teaching aids such as the new Computer poll and multimedia for PowerPoint presentation, qualified teaching, technical and accreditation of programmes.
The school has the following departments:-